Saturday 8 September 2007

Hi my foreign fellows!

So a week passed by and what did these foreigners do? Let’s see…

We went into town, looking for some amusement. Believe it or not, we didn’t find it. If you ask me, I’d say there’s seriously something wrong with this world if one cannot even find amusement in Moscow. Never mind, we passed by some famous and beautiful buildings and statues, which I’ll gladly share with you below:

Peter I /// St Basil's Cathedral

Cathedral of Christ the Redeemer /// big walls surrounding Kremlin

So on Monday all four of us went to class, shivering because of the announced test. And what do you know, apparently there was no test whatsoever. We just were informed on all the different possibilities at the university. The test will probably be moved to next week, as some more people (including Belgians, so I’ve heard) will arrive then and they should also be included in our group. At the moment our group consists of only 8 students and based on the test it will be divided into two. Hmm….I don’t really mind private classes. The teachers put my mind very much at ease. They are all very friendly (yes yes, the combination Russian-friendly does seem to exist in very few cases. Hurray!). They talk very clearly and not at all too fast, as Russians tend to do. Surprisingly enough, I seem to understand most of it. And and and, I even started studying already! I decided to take this all very seriously. I’ll force myself to study approx. 2-3 hours each day and I am making a large list containing all the new words I’ve heard that day. Can one be more ingenious??? “No Sarah”, is the right answer…

So during those classes we got to know some more highly-gifted (as we tend to be) students. To be more concrete, one Finnish girl, two German girls, one German and one French guy. One of the German girls, who was born in Russia and therefore speaks Russian fluently, was friendly enough to go and talk to someone and got me a single room. YIEHAH!!! Well, actually I am now in the same room as the 2 German girls, but my bed is in a separate smaller room. Yes, Russians tend to make things rather complicated. So, a quick glance at my new home:

Big enough a room, possibility to be on my own when needed, and nice roommates… win-win-win situation, that is!

Today, however, the above mentioned German girl had to leave us. Meet the Russian mentality: We had to hand in our passports at the university almost 2 weeks ago. They need it to provide us with a registration for Moscow, as Moscow is actually a small state within a big one. Even Russians need a registration, and thus a very good reason, to be allowed to stay in Moscow. So yesterday we had to go and collect our passports. What did they tell the German girl??? Your visa doesn’t specify that you’ll need to stay in Moscow to study and thus you must leave Moscow (and rather today than tomorrow). WHAT??? Really, if it were me, I would have been able to commit a murder. So, why can’t she just go to the German embassy here in Moscow? No no, too much a risk, she has to leave as soon as possible. So now it’ll cost her approx. €800 and even more tears to fly back, get a new visa and fly back within a week. Poor girl, I really felt sorry for her. I don’t easily say this but “long live the HIVT” for doing something right for a change! Hereby I’d like to thank Ms Vanhassel!

Earlier this week, we finally found a good and very cheap place to eat. Me, the two German girls and the Finnish girl went to “My-My”, which serves a lot of traditional Russian dishes, soups, salads and desserts for a ridiculously low price. So we’ll certainly go there again, as us four Belgians are the only ones here who have to pay for food at the university (no more “long live the HIVT”).

Yesterday the Swiss guy left, leaving me the book “War and Peace”. My challenge: reading 700 pages of “The Idiot” and 1600 pages of “War and Peace” before I get back to Belgium. Ha…I can hear everyone think: “Impossible for bibliophobic Sarah”… Well, a little confidence in this girl would be in order, thanks!

So, for everyone who thinks Russian life is cheap, I’ll now proof you wrong:

I don’t know if it is clear enough, but this picture shows that I’ve paid 194 rouble (equals €5) for 1 bleu plum. Maybe just a little bit out of order, I’d say…

Finally, some practical information. Firstly, my mobile phone should be working now. I went to the big Megafon Office and asked for their help in my best Russian. Considering my best Russian was so perfect, their help was enough to fix the problem. Again, sorry for the inconveniences before. Secondly, find below the exact address of where I’ll receive all my post:

Сара Вандекрейс
Жилищный комплекс МГЛУ
Комсомольский пр-т д.6/2, комната 321Б
119021, Москва
Russia

So I guess this is the end of a very long update.
As we Russians would say: До следующего недели! In other words, I’ll talk (write, rather) to you again next week.
Take care and know that we’re all thinking of you!

1 comment:

F²M said...

da russisch blijft toch chinees voor mij hoor!!
YEAY for the new room!!!! keigoe!!