Sunday 21 October 2007

Sarah aka cash machine

Right, I suppose I owe you an explanation… Last week I finished by saying I’d soon get back to you with more important news. Two reasons why saying sorry would be in place: 1. I shouldn’t have written this in the first place, seeing many of you thought the news would be very exciting and positive, which it certainly isn’t. 2. I didn’t get back to you earlier, as I couldn’t yet sort it all out myself.

Please allow me to update you on the story. I’ll try and keep it as short as possible, though…

It all began almost 2 weeks ago. We received an email from our Belgian professor (the one we had met here in Moscow a few days earlier). She was kind enough to inform us on the fact that she’ll have to claim a “small” amount of money from us. That she had been talking to the people in charge here in Moscow, and that, seeing Moscow can’t find any counterparts to go to Belgium, they had mutually agreed that we have only 2 possibilities: 1. paying the University of Moscow €260 a month for this 8m² room ; 2. transfer €1000 to our teacher’s bank account in order to ‘buy ourselves free from obligations’. Now, do I perhaps look like a walking cash machine that gladly hands out money to everyone who wants some? If I do, please let me know, because then I might seriously consider changing my looks. So, after a few sleepless nights we went to talk to those so-called people in charge. And well what do you know, it was the first they heard about any possible problems. They had never talked with our teacher about students not going to Belgium or about us paying anything. It gets one to thinking, doesn’t it… Anyway, we asked to have a look at our contract again and it was clear we had signed a bilateral agreement – exchange programme – and that we therefore didn’t have to pay anything for our stay here. What a relief! So me and my mum (you can’t believe how awful it was for me to phone her up with such a news, leaving her to worry over there, not being able to do anything) were granted 1 night’s sleep. Next day was decided to change our contract so that we would pay for our stay here in stead of having to provide a place to stay for future Russian students. After I’ve heard that it would only be €95 a month (again, it gets one to thinking), I agreed with that plan. So we went back to uni to explain our situation again. After a whole while of communication problems (why does everyone in this country has to speak such a difficult language???), they finally understood and got very angry with our school for putting us, as well as the university and their students in such a position. So they decided to talk to our professor first. Next day they filled us in on the latest developments: we can’t change the contract as we’d need permission from “higher authorities” (which means we just need a signature from our principal, if you ask me) and somehow our teacher succeeded in convincing them paying her would be the best solution. But they agreed with us that under no circumstances we should pay as much as €1000. So at the moment the situation is as follows: there is no situation, really, we'll just have to wait...

So that’s all I know at this very moment. Why I wanted to inform you on this asap? Because it could well be I’ll come home earlier, seeing that a new plane ticket would probably be much cheaper than having to pay one month more for the room and my living here. So for all of you who are planning a trip to Moscow (or Siberia, sorry L.), please wait until I’ve decided myself on what’s best. But for the ones who already start worrying about being stuck with me again that soon, I can put your minds at ease for now since I’m afraid nothing will be definite for quite a while.

Other things that happened to me this week: On Monday I went to the market and bought a whole backpack full of fruit and vegetables for as much as €2. Yes, after almost 2 months I finally know where to buy these things in order not to pay €5 for 2 plums. In the night of Tuesday to Wednesday we had another birthday party, this time C. from Brussels turned 20.



On Thursday I tried a new course (Translation science), only attended by Russian students. I felt a bit like a piranha being put together with a whole lot of goldfishes. But at the end of the course they came to talk to me, what really surprised me as Russians aren’t usually that sociable towards strangers. But they turned out to be very nice and especially curious (they were even interested in Belgium, imagine…). So they asked me to go with them to the cinema on Friday and, seeing I really wanted to get to know real Russians but had given up all hope by now, I gladly accepted that invitation. It turned out to be great fun, they were really friendly and interested in all I had to say. I also learned a lot about them and the way things are done here in Russia. For example: they have 35 hours of class a week, including Saturdays??? I know, I couldn’t help my mouth falling open either... But most importantly: I understood them and was able to talk to them while feeling rather comfortable. I was really worried about that as real Russians tend to talk very fast and often forget to articulate. Thus, considering I decided that I’d want to attend those courses in future, I have finally found all the equivalents I wanted. Jieha! It only took me 2 months… So I’ll send out my proposal today and if they accept it, I’ll only have 5 hours of class a week next semester. What a luxury! I’ll need that time to write my master thesis, though… On Saturday I first went to class and when I arrived back at the student's residence security were searching all the rooms again. This time they were in search of water boilers. I know, I too had difficulties not to laugh when the guy asked me how I can make my coffee if I wouldn't have one. But then he filled me in on the latest news and told us that he just came to warn us that in case we would have one, we need to hide it by Monday. Apparently, after that fire two weeks ago, Moscow finally got the message: they need to make their public buildings much safer. So at the dormitory they already started installing brand-new fire detectors, because apparently next week Russian authorities will start checking all University buildings in Moscow. And that’s why the boiler has to go (=be hidden for 2 days, as I couldn’t possibly survive without coffee in the morning). In the evening some evil students convinced me to go and explore Moscow’s nightlife. I think it’s best not to provide you with too many details but I can, however, assure you that everything they say about it is more than true; except for the rumour that it’s dangerous, you just need to know where to go as is the case even in Belgium, if you ask me. In other words: WOW! It was amazing, I couldn’t believe what I good time I had. Consequence: I came home at 10.45 today… Sorry mum, just this once, I promise I’ll go back to being the well-behaved daughter as off now!

That’s all folks!

No comments: